DMCAR has an extremely effective Government Affairs program. Coordinating with the Colorado Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®, DMCAR monitors and takes action on local, State and National issues focusing on legislation that could change property rights or affect the value of real property. Active at the local level, DMCAR has enjoyed a highly successful program with the support of the renowned lobbying firm CRL Associates.
DMCAR advocates on behalf of the commercial real estate broker, taking positions and working with legislators toward favorable results for the industry. We also serve to inform and educate membership on upcoming issues and changes to business due to new legislation.
Recent DMCAR advocacy efforts include:
- DMCAR leads on proposed legislation to update the Gallagher Amendment and reform the property tax assessment rate setting system for Colorado.
- DMCAR leads on new policy to implement a more transparent citizen-initiated ballot item process.
- Successfully led opposition to removal of the Denver Camping Ban, Denver’s Initiative 300, which would have made way for permanent homeless encampments across the city in 2018.
- Successfully led opposition to a graduated income tax proposal, Amendment 74, in 2018.
- Opposed mandatory rooftop gardens for commercial real estate properties and shaped subsequent Green Building Ordinance, in 2017.
- DMCAR created and ushered in the Broker Lien Law in 2012.
Additionally, members are encouraged to subscribe to the CRL Associates clipping service to stay current on industry news. To sign up for the e-newsletter service, contact Sean Maley at email@example.com.