DMCAR has an extremely effective Government Affairs program. Coordinating with the Colorado Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®, DMCAR monitors and takes action on local, State and National issues focusing on legislation that could change property rights or affect the value of real property. Active at the local level, DMCAR has enjoyed a highly successful program with the support of the renowned lobbying firm CRL Associates.
DMCAR advocates on behalf of the commercial real estate broker, taking positions and working with legislators toward favorable results for the industry. We also serve to inform and educate membership on upcoming issues and changes to business due to new legislation.
Recent DMCAR advocacy efforts include:
- While supporting proposals for a new Affordable Housing plan in Denver, opposed the Impact Development Fee layered on top of a new commercial real estate tax to fund these programs.
- Successful opposed Energize Denver and mandatory energy upgrades to all commercial buildings; settled on a market-driven program based on transparency and benchmarking.
- Continuously work with the City’s Development Services in streamlining processes
- Monitor regulatory and code issues in regards to how it could impede deals
- Monitor IHO and Affordable Housing and its effect on development
- Monitor recreational marijuana and the local government interpretation of Amendment 64
- Opposed ballot measures 2A, 2B and 3B which raised commercial property taxes in 2012
- Participated in the Denver Zoning Code Update and Business & Retail Working Group
- Creation of the Broker Lien Law
- Continues work towards local and State level construction defects law reform
Additionally, members are encouraged to subscribe to the CRL Associates clipping service to stay current on industry news. To sign up for the e-newsletter service, contact Peter Wall at email@example.com